Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Shack

I feel silly passing this along, since it says to "get all your friends to read this" right on the back of the book, and I don't like following things like that. Nonetheless, I can truly say this book impacted my heart and mind in ways I couldn't predict.
I won't spoil the story since part of its power is in the way it will surprise you. I also won't try to say it is theologically perfect, but that is part of its beauty. It is a story meant to remind us about Love (caps...as in God is Love). It reminded me about the God who seeks relationship (not hierarchy) with me. It made me search myself deeper than I usually dare.

Since I only just finished it this afternoon, the responses and emotions are too raw and undigested for me to have words to share here. What's more, the experience (for all of those who read this book) is probably intensely personal, so I don't even know what to share.

I am in awe of the God who loves me and who wants to be one with me. He doesn't seek to judge me, but to redeem me. I am still unwrapping that one. wow

1 comment:

Roy B. said...

I'm in the middle of it thanks to your recommendation. Someone else had recommended it earlier, but our brief conversation led me to actually read it. The message I am reading as the story progresses is the call of God to consider that we might need to rethink how we've always thought of Him. Still through the revelation of Scripture, but not necessarily reading Scripture through the lenses that Christians in the last 200 years have been using as they (we) have been reading. Jo's read it too - and it seems to be taking me to different questions and possibilities than it has taken her. Plus - just a great story to read, by an excellent writer.