Sunday, January 04, 2009

Who fits God's Image?

From Genesis 1:27.."So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

I remember when I was younger I read a book talking about God loving someone like a mother. At the time, I was pretty turned off by the idea. In fact I put the book away and didn't finish it. I am by all accounts a conservative and certainly wouldn't be labeled liberal in my theology. Within that context (of my being generally conservative) I must say, it's come to sadden me that we often don't regard the wonderful qualities of women as a reflection of who God is.

Over time in my marriage and as I've matured, I've learned so much about how God has created men and women as two complimentary parts making a whole together. I've learned to see my wife's differences from me not as weaknesses, but as complimentary strengths to my weaknesses.

I began to think, if the two together make a whole, perfect union, might that be because each of us has characteristics of the God who made us and who so wonderfully designed us to support and compliment one another. "Duh", you say, but try comparing God a female role (mother for example) and see what reaction you get.

Over time I've come to readily accept that the best qualities of women are really glimpses of the image of God. James 1:17 (NASB) says "Every good thing and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights".

When I think of the Godly women in my life, I think of graceful love, a nurturing spirit, a quickness to forgive, the undaunting patience and gentle doting of mothers I know, and the capacity to sense the emotional needs of others and respond with an open heart. Those and so many other characteristics of women (speaking in generalized terms) are of course good things and perfect gifts of God.

As God is the Father of light, I believe apart from Him is only darkness, and that anything good in our lives is of Him and from Him and cannot exist without His having authored it. Thus it stands to reason womanly love and kindness could not exist apart from God and are in fact a reflection of God's very self.

I do not mean to say God lacks the strong, manly characteristics we have come to cultulrally accept. I am thankful for a strong God who is not wimpy and for whom truth is constant, not shifting with popular opinion. I only mean to say, God is bigger than the boxes we sometimes put Him in.

I am quite certain the beauty I see in the women of my life is the beauty of a mirror reflecting images of their creator.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Well said, E. The book "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Nouwen explores the way God demonstrates His love in masculine and feminine ways. I was impressed by the imagery then and now. Thanks for the reminder.

eets said...

I just want to say I admire you for communicating your spiritual thoughts and beliefs in your posts and in everyday life. I've been convicted of doing that more with my friends and family lately.

sarah said...

So in case you haven't figured it out. Eric is not giving himself compliments. Oops =). It was me.

Becky said...

Thanks for the post Eric...I always look forward what you write. I'm blessed to have a brother who helps draw me closer to my God.

Nina said...

In reading your words I thought of how God himself very carefully selected the women that would be the mother of His only son Jesus. He was looking for virtues and characteristics that would exemplify He himself.