Sunday, June 21, 2009

Once upon a time...


A couple years ago I thought I might not be able to run anymore, took a couple years off, then went to some physical therapy and with a lot of work, made it to the point of running a trail marathon at 3500 ft (starting line) with 2500-ish feet of climb total in 3:36 (was my first marathon) and managed to finish top 10.


Said race also seemed to destroy my calves as I still have pain almost 2 years later. Guess I need to give in and find the time for PT again. I've been icing and stretching a lot lately, but I don't know yet if it's working and yesterday I really hurt my back (plus while I sit here typing I can feel my calves/achilles spasming again).
Nonetheless...there was something special to me about being able to spend that much time on a trail and challenge myself. I keep thinking "if only I can train I can really enjoy the long distance trail thing" since that run was on about 3 months of base.


A little inspiration goes a long way, so I finally bought a photo from the race...(this photo was near the end of the race)

2 comments:

Jim said...

I cannot run, but I will crew for you whenever you need me!

Becky said...

First of all...you rock Eric! I had forgotten what an amazing time you had on your trail run. I love the picture...glad you got it. And I'm sure it's frustrating not having your body cooperate right now, but I'm so proud of your determination and know we're all behind you!