Thursday, May 18, 2006

Watermelon Crawl

I love my wife.

The other day Sarah decided to make Watermelon Lemonade. I figured "yum" so I was all for it.

She cut up the watermelon and blended it with sugar and a few strawberries. It was at this point she realized she needed to strain the pulp out of the watermelon juice and we didn't have anything thin enough to strain it with.

Brilliantly - but not before some experimentation with the cheese grater - we decided she could use paper towels. She draped one over the pitcher and poured pureed watermelon over the towel. Then she watched and waited. Waited, waited. I stretched for a run, and she waited. Finally came the acknowledgement this was going to take a while.

I suggested a watermelon/lemon smoothie, but Sarah would have none of it. She decided she'd wring the juice through the paper towel. So one at a time, she'd place the paper towl, pour some puree on it, wring it, and go to the next towel.

After about 10 minutes I gave up trying to convince her to just make a smoothie since I could see she was determined. At about 15 minutes, with Sarah still wringing watermelon pith, with drops of juice all over the counter, and with watermelon rinds and microwaved lemons all over the kitchen, the camel's back broke, and suddenly my mind grasped the humor of the moment.

I started giggling as I stretched on the kitchen floor. Sarah started giggling and suddenly a frustrating experience was a memory. I love my little "Martita".

Oh, and the lemonade was great! Should be a fun summer treat if I buy her a citrus juicer and a small strainer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely written Eric. I think I hit rock bottom when I pulled out the cheese grater. =) Yes it's true, I have turned into Martita! Next on the Agenda is homemade strawberry or peach lemonade.
-Sarah
Love ya!!

Steph said...

This is one of the things I really love about Sarah - sheer determination! We practically had to tie her down when we were moving you guys and she was over 9 months pregnant! I can totally see her trying to strain watermelon through a paper towel. Heee.

Also, those memories ARE the greatest. I love when something totally frustrating turns out absolutely silly. =)