Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Great Romance

I just finished reading a trilogy by Ted Dekker called The Circle. I highly recommend it...there are 3 books: Black, Red, and White.

I suppose at times it reads a bit like a teenage thriller/fantasy, but due to its deeply compelling sub-plot (which I would argue is more important than the main story line) I came away moved by God's passionate, irrational and almost irresponsible love for us. There are wonderful metaphors in this story (especially in the final book White) helping remind the reader about our Maker's complete abandonment to love ("The Great Romance") and ultimate sacrifice to claim His "bride". Suffice it to say I had many goosebump moments.

Even if you're not into that, the main story is fun and action packed...A man literally living in separate realities trying to stop the end of the world in one reality, while interacting with Good and Evil (quite literally) and God Himself in another. I'll have to check out Dekker's other books in the series (apparently he went on to write several more).

I have also read a book by him called Obsession with some of the same themes which was a quick, high pulse read. It's got a very different theme (much more based in reality) and I enjoyed it too.

Happy reading!



1 comment:

Jim Braman said...

Awesome book(s)!!

I am/was also an ultra-runner from Raleigh, NC who connects deeply with God in nature. I have my own book I am almost finished with called "Living the Great Romance" I googled my title and ran across your blog!
Good to know a fellow runner is also hungry for God...

Be Loved

Your hungry brother - Jim
www.hungryforgod.net