Monday, October 03, 2005

My Best Friend

What is your idea of a good friend?

Would it be someone who would give up a Saturday to support you in your need? Would they stand in the rain on your account and never complain? Maybe they would be the one who made sure you had a warm cup of soup waiting for you when you came out of the cold. They might sit in a car for a couple hours so you'd have a dry set of clothes waiting for you.

Now how about if your "need" was really just a whim? If you just felt like going for a 23-ish mile jaunt down the coast, would your friend sacrifice their Saturday to help you do it? If so you're lucky, and like me, you might want to marry that special friend.

Saturday I got to enjoy one of my favorite activities; running in the rain through dense forests and on cliffs overlooking the Pacific. It was outstanding, and I ran farther than I have before. In the meantime my wife, and my buddies' wives - my friends Mike and Jim ran too - were keeping each other company in the rain while they waited for us and served as our "aid stations". We had extra drinks and snacks for the trip, as well as dry shirts and jackets.

Lots of fun, very beautiful, and the scenery was nice too ;-)
Thanks Sarah!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my very first reply to a blog ever. Woohoo!! It is only fitting that it is to my husband and also my best friend. You are too sweet and I'm so blessed to be married to you! You know I'm always there for you. It is so exciting to see you running again almost pain free. I'm glad you are able to do what you love.
From your biggest fan,
Sarah