Thursday, September 08, 2005

Coaches (and my introduction)

First a quick intro on who I am:

My name is Eric. I'm in my late 20's. Married, have a dog, baby on the way, grew up in Oregon, currently live in Beaverton. Was a decent runner (competed at the small college level, nothing too noteworthy). Will post pictures soon.

Likes: Backpacking, Running, Golf, Reading while drinking Chai tea, my wife making me laugh
Dislikes: Self-centeredness, personal attacks, hip pain, tomato juice

While on my run yesterday I bumped into my college coach. I hadn't seen him in a while and it brought back a few memories. I owe so much of who I am to the many teachers and coaches I've had through the years.

My college coach (Wes) taught me to focus on my effort and not on the result. I still hear him in my head saying "give your best, leave God the rest". Such a valuable physical and spiritual lesson. I still apply it to my work life and to my training.

I look back with particular fondness on memories of my high-school cross-country/track coach (Paul Mariman). He passed away a few years back, but many of his lessons are still forefront in my mind. He was always so positive and taught me to dream. He showed me how to visualize myself accomplishing things I thought were amazing, then he'd tell me I could do them until I believed him. I don't think he ever uttered an unkind word to anyone, and today I can thank him for teaching me to challenge myself and to remove self-imposed limitations.

More to come...

No comments: